Why does this new Covid 19 strain attacks children?
Posted on01 Jun 2021
B.1.617 Covid Mutation Strain
The B.1.617 variant, which is widely considered to be one of the primary reasons behind the huge surge in number of infections across India during the second wave of the pandemic, has been termed as a ‘global variant of concern’ by WHO
. It has already spread to more than 40 countries and growing. One reason why more children may be getting affected is because the B.1.617 variant has a mutation that makes it easier for the virus to latch onto human cells and cause an infection.
Lab studies have shown that the B.1.617 variant can attach with more strength to the ACE-2 receptors, the site where the coronavirus binds to our cells, than the earlier versions of the virus. B.1.617 Symptoms : How kids are affected by it.
The symptoms associated with this latest variant are largely the same as regular covid infections.
A persistent cough
Safety tips all children and family members should follow
- Loss of taste and smell
- High temperature of over 38 degree
- Extreme dryness in the mouth
- Irritation or itching of the tongue
- Ulcers in the mouth
- Wash your hands - Practice good hygiene habits
- Wear good quality masks - At least with 2 layer masks
- Avoid crowds and socially distance
- Strengthen immunity - You should teach your kids the importance of good immunity. From healthy eating habits, exercising to supplements and probiotics. For Probiotics why does it help boost immunity - More than 70% of immune system originates in the gastrointestinal tract, making gut microbiota a key component of an efficient immune system. Because the majority of our immune cells are localized in the gut, the composition of the gut microbiota plays an important role in the development of the immune system in early life, and in the maintenance of this system throughout adulthood and aging.